Thank you to everyone who added their names to our Eco Church ‘tree’ at all three services at St John’s on the 5th September. This commitment, and the ‘small’ changes we make individually and together, can and will make a ‘big’ difference.
|In October/November, the COP26 Climate Change conference will happen in Glasgow. It will bring together delegates from across the world for an opportunity to see what progress has been made since the Paris agreement to limit global warning to 1.5 degrees. Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, Pope Francis and the Archbishop of Canterbury made this statement on 1st September.|
The Time is Now Coalition
‘The Time Is Now’ is a campaign run by The Climate Coalition, the UK’s largest group of people dedicated to action against climate change.
It is a collective of over 140 organisations — including Faith groups – 22 million voices strong. The aim is to protect from climate change, and to ask politicians to put aside their differences and commit to doing whatever is necessary to protect them. You can fund more details at https://thetimeisnow.uk/
St John’s has added its name to well over 2000 churches who will present this declaration to the Prime Minister before COP26.
A prayer vigil for COP26 is being held at Southwark Cathedral on Saturday 23 October from 2.00 to 3.45pm. Some of us from St John’s are already going and there may still be places. You can book here and please let Lu or Barry know so we can travel together.
From the Organisations
There are a number of faith-based groups concerned about the Environment providing practical advice as well as spiritual resources and Bible reflections.
- The Church of England runs a number of seminars particularly for those concerned with Church Buildings. For more details see: https://www.churchofengland.org/about/environment-and-climate-change
- Eco Church is A Rocha UK’s award scheme for churches in England and Wales who want to demonstrate that the gospel is good news for God’s earth. A Rocha UK is a Christian charity which has worked for many years for the protection and restoration of the natural world – as a response to that clear biblical mandate to care for the earth, and as a demonstration of the Christian hope for God’s world. We are signed up to Eco Church here in St John’s.
Eco Churches record by a survey what they are already doing to care for God’s earth and reflect on what further steps they can take to that end and then act accordingly.
It covers all areas of church life: Worship and Teaching; Management of Church Buildings and Land; Community and Global Engagement; and Lifestyle. As we complete the survey we can collect points towards an Eco Church Award – Bronze, Silver and Gold.
You can find out more about Eco Church by following this link https://ecochurch.arocha.org.uk/
- Green Christian exists to share green insights with Christians and to offer Christian insights to the wider Green movement. It seeks to more urgently to live gently on the earth, encouraging one another in discipleship which accepts our impact on God’s creation as a whole. This includes: – daily prayer, a simpler lifestyle, public witness, peaceful campaigning, encouragement to one another and the provision of resources, including a magazine, groups, retreats and conferences.
You can find out more about Green Christian by following this link: https://greenchristian.org.uk/about/
- Christian Aid has extensive resources on preparing for COP26 including making prayer boats prior to the conference. If you are interested in making a boat, then please contact Barry for details and how we can use them.
Back in June Christian Aid premiered the ‘Song of the Prophets: a Requiem of the Climate’. A thoughtful piece of music to be found at https://www.christianaid.org.uk/get-involved/events/song-prophets-event-page
More climate change resources can be found by following the resources at: https://www.christianaid.org.uk/campaigns/climate-change-campaign
- Tear Fund like Christian Aid has a wealth of resources about the environmental crisis facing us all. Material about COP26 can be found at: https://www.tearfund.org/campaigns/cop26?utm_source=Tearfund+Action&utm_campaign=cc39f58a89-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_09_07_09_30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_347a47338a-cc39f58a89-27689277&mc_cid=cc39f58a89&mc_eid=005dd92f02
More news from other organisations next month.